At First United Methodist Church, we have several options for Sunday School and Weekday Bible Studies. Below is just a small amount of information.
You can sign up here for any class and scroll down until you see "Sign up for Bible Studies." You can sign up for more than one class at a time.
Weekday/Night Bible Studies
Tuesday Evening Bible Study
A women's class is held every Tuesday evening from 5:30-6:30. Childcare is provided at no cost. This class meets in the Welcome Center classroom and is led by Pat Bodenhamer.
Each lesson is a stand-alone lesson so anyone can join at any time.
It’s not too late to join us. We are working our way through the Bible. Each lesson is a stand-alone lesson. We would love for you to join us. We meet on Tuesday nights at 5:30 pm. Sometimes we eat! If you are interested in the book 66 Love Letters, let Denise in the office know asap then we can order you one. January 22 Love Letter 10-2 Samuel January 29 Love Letter 11-1 Kings (Pizza Party while we learn about 1 Kings)
Men's Morning Bible Study
This class is held every Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. Led by Pastor John.
In the Epic of Eden Bible Study, Dr. Sandra Richter clearly and powerfully communicates a history of God's redeeming grace, weaving together a story that runs from the Eden of the Garden to the garden of the New Jerusalem.
Through text and video teaching, Dr. Richter uses this 12-week study to bring a new dimension to the history of the ancient Near East, orienting any study group in time, geography, culture, redemption, and relevance to today - all without diminishing her reader's faith or "dumbing down" the scripture.
Legendary Bible stories take on new life as Dr. Richter clearly articulates their part of a larger pattern, revealing an even deeper significance for the tales individually. The Epic of Eden video study (DVD sold separately) is ideal for serious church groups wanting a meaty study of biblical text, as would anyone eager for a strategic grasp of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the Old Testament and how it relates to God's activity in the present.
Women's Morning Bible Study
This session is held every Wednesday morning at 9:30 unil 11:00 a.m. In the Welcome Center classroom.
The class is doing a study on Matthew. “Falling in Love with Jesus…Again” is a verse by verse Bible study video series of the Book of Matthew with Pastor Bob Russell.
Wednesday Night Bible Study
What feels shaky in your world? Are you overwhelmed by the problems you’re facing or the pain you’re feeling?
Maybe you feel hurt by the past. Disappointed by the present. Worried about the future. If so, you are not alone, but there is hope. You can live with security and purpose.
In Unshakable Hope, Max Lucado unpacks 12 of the Bible’s most significant promises, equipping you to overcome difficult circumstances by keeping your focus on the hope found in the promises of Scripture rather than dwelling on the problems in front of you.For every problem in life, God has given you a promise.
Hope is hard to come by these days. Whether it’s heart disease or cancer, job failure or addiction, natural disasters or family disasters, mass murders or mental illness, there are so many reasons to be overwhelmed.
In a world full of instability, we do not need more opinions or hunches; we need the definitive declarations of our mighty and loving God.
What is your life built on—the circumstances of life or the promises of God? The answer to that question changes everything. Join Max as he takes a closer look at Scripture’s unbreakable promises and shows you how to live with unshakable hope.
"Enough" by Adam Hamilton. Led by Karole Risker in the welcome center classroom.
Money has great power in our lives. Used wisely, it is one key to accomplishing our goals, providing for our needs, and fulfilling our life purpose. In recent years, many of us ignored the wisdom of the past when it came to managing and spending our money. Credit card debt soared, savings rates plummeted, and our home equity became something to be tapped into and spent rather than a source of security in retirement. We felt an insatiable desire for more. And we found ourselves spending tomorrow’s money today in order to have what we hoped would satisfy. The result of all of this was not greater happiness and satisfaction, but greater stress and anxiety.
Enough is an invitation to rediscover the Bible’s wisdom when it comes to prudent financial practices. In these pages are found the keys to experiencing contentment, overcoming fear, and discovering joy through simplicity and generosity. This book could change your life, by changing your relationship with money.
“We Americans love our stuff. We’re living in a fast-paced, me-first, instant-gratification world, and it’s finally catching up to us. Debt is out of control, homes are in foreclosure ... even banks are going out of business. What the world needs today is the message of contentment and simplicity, and that’s exactly what Pastor Adam Hamilton delivers in Enough.”
Dave Ramsey, New York Times Best-Selling Author and Nationally Syndicated Radio Talk Show Host
Beginning February 13, we will study "John" by Adam Hamilton
This Lent, join Adam Hamilton and experience a season of spiritual growth and life-changing renewal while exploring the major themes of John. Along with Hamilton's comments, this book includes the entire text of the Gospel of John (CEB), divided into six parts for ease of reading and study. Topics are:
- The Word Made Flesh
- The Miraculous Signs of Jesus
- The "I Am" Sayings of Jesus
- The Farewell Discourse
- The Arrest, Trial, and Crucifixion of the King
- Eternal Life
Epic of Eden-Men's Wednesday Morning study
Sunday School Classes for Adults
9:00 am Class
- Early Bird-
Since all other Sunday School Classes meet at 10:00 a.m., the Early Bird Class was started several years ago for those members of FUMC who ordinarily attend 8:00 church and wanted to meet together for study immediately after that early service. Most of our members are in the age range of middle-age to older, but we welcome any person who would like to attend our class. We have two great teachers—Beverly Crawford and Donna Jones—who present our weekly lessons from Adult Bible Studies and lead our discussions. We are ongoing in mission by making regular monetary donations to various FUMC projects and to community charities. Members of the Early Bird Class provide loving group support for each other in times of any kind of need. This class meets in the room outside the sanctuary.
10:00 am Classes
- Alpha Class - This class ranges in age from mid to late 40s and up. They enjoy study that provokes discussion. They meet on the 2nd floor next door to the music office.
- Coffee Break Class - Single and married adults, loosely in the age range of 35 - 50. They use various studies that lead to class discussion. They meet on the second floor.
- Fellowship Class/Prayer Corner Class - This class consists of members of all ages, married and single. They meet in the smaller classroom on the basement level.
- Homemakers Class is our longest running class. This class has been together well over 50 years. In fact, a few of them remember the "old" church. They are a vibrant group of women (and men) who love studying together. They meet in the chapel, just off of the narthex.
- Pairs and Spares meet in the Welcome Center Classroom. There is a wide range of ages, generally from the 60's upward, although all ages are welcome. The class consists of married couples as well as singles coming from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences. The members of this class are deeply and actively involved in many ministry areas of our church. They use the Adult Bible Study for curriculum.
- Sisters in Spirit is a women's class that meets in the room off of the sanctuary. They vary in ages and enjoy study material relative to their faithwalk with Christ.
- Transitions Class - This class consists of mostly married and single young adults. Many of them have young children. This class studies contemporary topics that meet them where they are in their lives: beginning families, living out our faith in our jobs, dealing with life, etc. They meet in an office on the 2nd floor down from the Coffee Break class.
- Wesley Class This class is a mixed age group class. This group enjoys study material written by authors like Kalas, Moore, and others. They have a great time in study and fellowship. They meet in the large classroom on the basement level.
- Faithworks This class is geared for young adults ages 18-25. The ultimate goal of the class is Working Through Faith as they take their faith outside the church walls and live as ambassadors for Christ. They meet on the 4th floor in the northeast classroom.