At First United Methodist Church, we have several options for Sunday School and Weekday Bible Studies. Below is just a small amount of information.
You can sign up here for any class and scroll down until you see "Sign up for Bible Studies." You can sign up for more than one class at a time.
Ladies Summer Book Club
Join Pastor Pat on Tuesday evenings for dinner and discussion 3 nights this summer as we read the books and then have discussion and dinner. All books are available in the church office. Please sign up in the Volunteer Center if you are planning on attending so we can plan dinner.
Tuesday, June 26: 7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness by Eric Metaxas. $10
Tuesday, July 31: The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols Alonzo. $12
Tuesday, August 28: Chasing God by Angie Smith
Weekday/Night Bible Studies
Tuesday Evening Bible Study
A women's class is held every Tuesday evening from 5:30-6:30. Childcare is provided at no cost. In the Welcome Center classroom. Led by Pat Bodenhamer.
This class has ended. Please check back for a new study.
Men's Morning Bible Study
This class is held every Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. Led by Pastor John.
This class has ended. Check back in the fall for a new study.
Women's Morning Bible Study
This session is held every Wednesday morning at 9:30 unil 11:00 a.m. In the Welcome Center classroom.
We will begin a new study on Wednesday, April 11. We will be doing an 8-session study on the life and writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and how his faith has inspired the Christian faith of so many today. This class is held from 9:30-11 in the welcome center classroom. Childcare is provided and a book will be available for a nominal fee.
On June 13, the class will resume a study by Bob Russell on Genesis. This is a verse by verse study with a video component.
Wednesday Night Bible Study
Bonhoeffer Wednesday Morning Study
7 Women and the Secret of their Greatness
Sunday School Classes for Adults
9:00 am Class
- Early Bird-
Since all other Sunday School Classes meet at 10:00 a.m., the Early Bird Class was started several years ago for those members of FUMC who ordinarily attend 8:00 church and wanted to meet together for study immediately after that early service. Most of our members are in the age range of middle-age to older, but we welcome any person who would like to attend our class. We have two great teachers—Beverly Crawford and Donna Jones—who present our weekly lessons from Adult Bible Studies and lead our discussions. We are ongoing in mission by making regular monetary donations to various FUMC projects and to community charities. Members of the Early Bird Class provide loving group support for each other in times of any kind of need. This class meets in the room outside the sanctuary.
10:00 am Classes
- Alpha Class - This class ranges in age from mid to late 40s to the oldest member who is over 90. They enjoy study that provokes discussion. Currently they are using the Short Term Disciple material and studying the Old Testament. They meet on the 2nd floor next door to the music office.
- Young Adult Class - This class consists of those in college and beginning their careers who are under the age of 25. They meet on the fourth floor across from the confirmation class.
- Coffee Break Class - Single and married adults, loosely in the age range of 35 - 50. They are currently studying The Old Testament. They meet on the second floor.
- Fellowship Class/Prayer Corner Class - This class consists of members of all ages. They meet in the smaller classroom on the basement level. The Fellowship Class study material comes weekly and addresses the intersection of the Bible and our faith with the things that are happening in our world each week.
- Homemakers Class is our longest running class. This class has been together well over 50 years. In fact, a few of them remember the "old" church. They are a vibrant group of women (and men) who love studying together. They meet in the chapel, just off of the narthex.
- Pairs and Spares meet in the Welcome Center Classroom. There is a wide range of ages, generally from the 60's upward, although all ages are welcome. The class consists of married couples as well as singles coming from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences. This class utilizes the Uniform Series International Bible Lessons using a combination of background lesson lectures to stimulate class discussions. The members of this class are deeply and actively involved in many ministry areas of our church.
- Sisters in Spirit is a women's class that meets in the room off of the sanctuary. They vary in ages and enjoy study material relative to their faithwalk with Christ.
- Transitions Class - This class consists of mostly married and single young adults. Many of them have young children. This class studies contemporary topics that meet them where they are in their lives: beginning families, living out our faith in our jobs, dealing with life, etc. They meet in the Welcome Center.
- Wesley Class This class is a mixed age group class. This group enjoys study material written by authors like Kalas, Moore, and others. They have a great time in study and fellowship. They meet in the large classroom on the basement level.