At First United Methodist Church, we have several options for Sunday School and Weekday Bible Studies. Below is just a small amount of information.
You can sign up here for any class or scroll down until you see "Sign up for Bible Studies"
Weekday/Night Bible Studies
Tuesday Morning Bible Study
A new class is now available on Tuesday morning at 11:00 that is open to women with a class in the Coffee Break room on the second floor. Led by Ashley Bolen.
Check back in the fall for what this class will study.
Tuesday Evening Bible Study
A women's class is held every Tuesday evening from 5:30-6:30. Childcare is provided at no cost. In the Welcome Center classroom. Led by Angela Newby. Check back in the fall when this class resumes.
Men's Morning Bible Study
This class is held every Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. Led by Pastor John. This class will resume in the fall.
Women's Morning Bible Study
This session is held every Wednesday morning at 9:30 unil 11:00 a.m. In the Welcome Center classroom. This group will study "The Vision of God" by Anne Graham Lotz starting June 14.
"Much more than a study of prophecy, Lotz's passionate and practical exposition of the Book of Relevation looks in to the awesome imagery to reveal a majestic picture of Jesus in all his glory. You will discover that Jesus is your only source of true hope, comfort, and courage for the future."
Wednesday Night Bible Study
Classes have ended for the semester on Wednesday nights and will resume in September.
Sunday evening studies have finished for the semester and will resume in the fall.
Vision of His Glory
Sunday School Classes for Adults
9:00 am Class
- Early Bird-
Since all other Sunday School Classes meet at 10:00 a.m., the Early Bird Class was started several years ago for those members of FUMC who ordinarily attend 8:00 church and wanted to meet together for study immediately after that early service. Most of our members are in the age range of middle-age to older, but we welcome any person who would like to attend our class. We have two great teachers—Beverly Crawford and Donna Jones—who present our weekly lessons from Adult Bible Studies and lead our discussions. We are ongoing in mission by making regular monetary donations to various FUMC projects and to community charities. Members of the Early Bird Class provide loving group support for each other in times of any kind of need. This class meets in the room outside the sanctuary.
10:00 am Classes
- Alpha Class - This class ranges in age from mid to late 40s to the oldest member who is over 90. They enjoy study that provokes discussion. Currently they are using the Short Term Disciple material and studying the Old Testament. They meet on the 2nd floor next door to the music office.
- College and Career Class - This class consists of those in college and beginning their careers who are under the age of 25. They meet in the kitchen at the back of the Fellowship Hall.
- Coffee Break Class - Single and married adults, loosely in the age range of 35 - 50. They are currently studying The Old Testament. They meet on the second floor.
- Fellowship Class/Prayer Corner Class - This class consists of members of all ages. They meet in the smaller classroom on the basement level. The Fellowship Class study material comes weekly and addresses the intersection of the Bible and our faith with the things that are happening in our world each week.
- Homemakers Class is our longest running class. This class has been together well over 50 years. In fact, a few of them remember the "old" church. They are a vibrant group of women (and men) who love studying together. They meet in the chapel, just off of the narthex.
- Pairs and Spares meet in the Welcome Center Classroom. There is a wide range of ages, generally from the 60's upward, although all ages are welcome. The class consists of married couples as well as singles coming from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences. This class utilizes the Uniform Series International Bible Lessons using a combination of background lesson lectures to stimulate class discussions. The members of this class are deeply and actively involved in many ministry areas of our church.
- Sisters in Spirit is a women's class that meets in the room off of the sanctuary. They vary in ages and enjoy study material relative to their faithwalk with Christ.
- Transitions Class - This class consists of mostly married and single young adults. Many of them have young children. This class studies contemporary topics that meet them where they are in their lives: beginning families, living out our faith in our jobs, dealing with life, etc. They meet in the Welcome Center.
- Wesley Class This class is a mixed age group class. This group enjoys study material written by authors like Kalas, Moore, and others. They have a great time in study and fellowship. They meet in the large classroom on the basement level.