At First United Methodist Church, we have several options for Sunday School and Weekday Bible Studies. Below is just a small amount of information.
You can sign up here for any class and scroll down until you see "Sign up for Bible Studies." You can sign up for more than one class at a time.
Weekday/Night Bible Studies
Join Rev. Dane Womack on Tuesdays during the lunch hour for an Old Testament Bible Study. Beginning Sept. 24 we will spend 8 weeks with the Minor Prophets - some of the most interesting and engaging texts in Scripture! This study is open to anyone whether you’re a seasoned Bible teacher or have never read any of the Old Testament before! Drop by in the middle of your work day. Bring your lunch and eat while we study. Come early to share snacks and fellowship. Look forward to seeing you there!
Men's Early Morning Bible Study
This class is held every Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. They will resume September 11. This study is lead by Chase. This group will study "A Disciple's Path."
Women's Morning Bible Study
This session is held every Wednesday morning at 9:30 unil 11:00 a.m. In the Welcome Center classroom.
Setpember 11-October 16: "When God's Spirit Moves" by Jim Cymbala.
In this six-session small group Bible study, pastor and bestselling author Jim Cymbala explores the person and work of the Holy Spirit to bring a fresh sense of God’s power to your church and your life.
What happens when the Holy Spirit moves powerfully within a church? Through this six-session study you will learn how:
- To make room for the Spirit’s action in your life and in your church
- God wants to work through your gifts and talents to enable you to do what only he can do
- To listen for the voice of the Spirit in prayer and how to apply God’s Word to your life
- The Spirit can bring healing to your body, your emotions, and your relationships; how a life lived in the presence of the Spirit can transform the church and the world
Your church can become a place where people regularly experience God’s presence and his power.
Wednesday Afternoon/Night Classes
Chase's "Wesleyan Journey" will also be taught at 4:00 pm on Wednesdays. Evening classes take place from 6-7 pm.
When God's Spirit Moves-Wednesday morning study
Sunday School Classes for Adults
9:00 am Class
- Early Bird-
Since all other Sunday School Classes meet at 10:00 a.m., the Early Bird Class was started several years ago for those members of FUMC who ordinarily attend 8:00 church and wanted to meet together for study immediately after that early service. Most of our members are in the age range of middle-age to older, but we welcome any person who would like to attend our class. We have two great teachers—Beverly Crawford and Donna Jones—who present our weekly lessons from Adult Bible Studies and lead our discussions. We are ongoing in mission by making regular monetary donations to various FUMC projects and to community charities. Members of the Early Bird Class provide loving group support for each other in times of any kind of need. This class meets in the room outside the sanctuary.
10:00 am Classes
- Alpha Class - This class ranges in age from mid to late 40s and up. They enjoy study that provokes discussion. They meet on the 2nd floor next door to the music office.
- Coffee Break Class - Single and married adults, loosely in the age range of 35 - 50. They use various studies that lead to class discussion. They meet on the second floor.
- Fellowship Class/Prayer Corner Class - This class consists of members of all ages, married and single. They meet in the smaller classroom on the basement level.
- Homemakers Class is our longest running class. This class has been together well over 50 years. In fact, a few of them remember the "old" church. They are a vibrant group of women (and men) who love studying together. They meet in the chapel, just off of the narthex.
- Pairs and Spares meet in the Welcome Center Classroom. There is a wide range of ages, generally from the 60's upward, although all ages are welcome. The class consists of married couples as well as singles coming from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences. The members of this class are deeply and actively involved in many ministry areas of our church. They use the Adult Bible Study for curriculum.
- Sisters in Spirit is a women's class that meets in the room off of the sanctuary. They vary in ages and enjoy study material relative to their faithwalk with Christ.
- Transitions Class - This class consists of mostly married and single young adults. Many of them have young children. This class studies contemporary topics that meet them where they are in their lives: beginning families, living out our faith in our jobs, dealing with life, etc. They meet in the community room closest to the kitchen.
- Wesley Class This class is a mixed age group class. This group enjoys study material written by authors like Kalas, Moore, and others. They have a great time in study and fellowship. They meet in the large classroom on the basement level.